This building in Cambridge proper is part of the Open Way for historical reasons. When the main Haverhill estate was abandoned
in 1908 after the mass suicide of its inhabitants, this building was also left empty.
The British Government claimed the grounds of both buildings in order to provide "safe homes" for the aimless and depressed young men
who returned home traumatized by WWII. (This is also when Superintendent Harford Locksley came up with the asylum's name after an
In the 1940s through 1960s this building was used as an admissions facility for the "safe houses". However, as the influx of
veterans slowed, it was ultimately closed and now the Porter's Lodge is maintained as an historical site.